Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Polar Circle Half Marathon

 
HOLY SHIT!



HOLY SHIT!


HOLY SHIT!

This is making my brain explode.
Welcome to a tough, unique marathon in truly magnificent scenery. The Polar Circle Marathon - often referred to as “the coolest marathon on earth” takes place in Kangerlussuaq, Greenland. The endless ice and snow of this vast country make up the backdrop of this unusual race, in which runners pass glacier tongues, moraine landscapes and soundless, arctic desert. 


OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD. The very idea of this gives me a borderline panic attack, but clearly this is something I have to do at some point. Also, there is a half-marathon option, so we're good. Don't everybody worry.
A part of the route takes place on the slippery ice cap itself, but the main part of the course is run on the gravel road (often snow covered) that connects the inland ice with the small township of Kangerlussuaq, just north of the Polar Circle.

I think I'm going to have to move back to the East Coast for five years before this thing to try to re-acclimate myself to colder temperatures.
The average temperature in Greenland in October is normally around -10ºC/15ºF, but colder temperatures should be expected. Snow is not unusual, but the race can be completed in a pair of normal running shoes.
WHO'S COMING WITH ME?









The 2012 race is already sold out, but that's just fine because I think I'm angling for the 2017 one, earliest. I love everything.

Pictures via the Polar Circle Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment